instagram pinterest linkedin facebook twitter goodreads facebook circle twitter circle linkedin circle instagram circle goodreads circle pinterest circle

Welcome, friends! 

Visit with a reader

Chaplain Beauregard and his wife Susan
Over Thanksgiving weekend, I paid a visit to a very special person, Allen Beauregard. Chaplain Beauregard took the trouble to write me a note after reading Miracles and Moments of Grace. It was a lovely note, the first I received after publication of the book.

At his home, Chaplain Beauregard told me about his life. He is a disabled veteran who served for 17 years in the Navy. He spent 38 months in Vietnam, during the height of the conflict. He was aboard the USS Ranger when the last helicopter lifted off from a Saigon rooftop on April 30, 1975.

Chaplain Beauregard ministered for over six years at a VA hospital in upstate New York. He spent six months on an Alzheimers ward, another year in a surgical recovery ward, and five years in a hospice ward.

"As I went from patient to patient, the one thought that was always in my mind was how God was blessing me by ministering to veterans and their families," he told me.

The surprising thing about Chaplain Beauregard is that he is legally blind. Where drugstore reading glasses are at most a 3+ or 4+ prescription, his reading glasses are 35+. Yet even with this disadvantage, he wanted to minister to others.

We had a great visit, and I thank you again, Chaplain Beauregard, for taking the time to tell me how much you enjoyed the stories in Miracles and Moments of Grace. I hope we can visit again some day soon.  Read More 
Post a comment

A Thanksgiving thought

Blessed are those who can give without remembering and receive without forgetting.

-- Elizabeth Asquith Bibesco
Be the first to comment

Reverse Trick-or-Treat

My faithful friend and fellow writer (and a darn good photographer, to boot!) Chaplain Jeffrey Neuberger shared a Veterans Day reflection with me this week. It is my pleasure to share it with you.

"My grandson just entered the first grade, but I think he’s on to something. This past Halloween was his first opportunity to welcome 'trick-or-treaters' at his door. He had recently moved from an apartment to a new home, and the concept of Halloween was ever on his mind, with costumes at school and the like. The first group of kids arrived and stood at the door with bags outstretched.

In the background, my daughter watched as Andrew greeted them. The trick-or-treaters held their bags wide open as he paused, and then slowly reached into each bag to retrieve a piece of candy. It was a case of reverse trick-or-treating! I can imagine the bewilderment of those kids. My daughter handled it perfectly, and after a brief explanation Andrew understood the concept and the rest of the night proceeded 'in keeping with the tradition.'

As I write this article, it’s Monday morning, the day after we honored veterans in both worship services at our church. It was really wonderful to have each of the veterans stand to be recognized. I was amazed at how many veterans were in the congregation. We also recognized three of our acolytes, each who has a parent currently deployed. In my sermon, I noted the important statistic that a mere 1 percent of our citizenry are in uniform to protect and defend the other 99 percent.

You may be asking yourself at this point what a 'reverse trick-or-treat' has to do with our veterans. It occurred to me that as citizens we are like my grandson Andrew, unknowingly taking from a bag which we should be putting into. The difference, however, is that our veterans, the men and women who serve in our military, stand before us freely offering the gift of their service for us to enjoy and appreciate as a nation. With their permission, we can reach into their 'bag' whenever we want. On this Veterans Day, give thanks for them."  Read More 
Be the first to comment